The Specific Media Linux team operates a collection of over 3000+ Linux-based servers spread across 5 data centers nationwide. Among our responsibilities are content storage and delivery for images, mail, streaming video, and streaming music; ongoing infrastructure support; and support of other teams in the organization who operate Linux-based applications. Our environment is growing and storage capacity is exceeding into multiple petabytes at an astounding rate.
The position of the Linux System Administrator will work on a team be responsible for the deployment and maintenance of Linux systems in many clusters within the Myspace and Specific Media properties. The ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding of Linux and related technologies, and will be capable of working in a multiple-distribution environment.
If you are a self-starter, highly motivated, and take pride in what you do, then this is an excellent opportunity to test your mettle in one of the largest-scale Linux environments in the Los Angeles area. We are a top-notch team of hard working individuals who are dedicated to ensuring that the supported organizations have the tools needed to do the job, and we’re looking for like-minded folk that enjoy what they do to join our team and contribute their expertise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Includes the following but other duties may be assigned.
- Troubleshoot and resolve difficult production issues in a timely fashion.
- Monitor Unix servers, systems, environments, and services.
- Build and Configure systems and services.
- Install in-house, opensource, and vendor based software.
- Write scripts, programs, and routines to enhance the integrity of the environment.
- Participate in off-hours on-call technical support rotation.
- Works with other groups and departments to achieve end goals.
- Provide tier level support to System Administrators and various groups.
- Drives results (outages, projects, break/fix, support issues).
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Experience with multiple Linux distributions (RedHat, CentOS, Scientific Linux).
- Configuration and maintenance of Nagios, Puppet, MySQL, Hadoop, Splunk, Redmine, Kickstart, LDAP/Active-Directory, SVN, GIT, Sendmail, Apache (2.x), NFS, CIFS, DHCP, NTP, SSH, IPTables, DNS/Bind, SNMP (net-snmp).
- Knowledge of common Linux technologies (PAM, proc filesystem, sysctl, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of Linux kernel configuration.
- Knowledge of load balancing technologies, version control, and configuration management.
- Experience with large-scale web server farms and content delivery networks (CDN).
- Experience with large-scale (multiple-TB) SAN and NAS environments.
- Proven ability to quickly learn and implement unfamiliar technologies.
- Proven ability to quickly isolate and troubleshoot issues under pressure in a production environment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific Media is leading the next phase of the advertising evolution by being the first to integrate display, video, mobile and IPTV into a single unified platform. We make addressable advertising a reality, working across formats and screens and delivering a comprehensive set of targeting technologies and measurement capabilities.
Specific Media recently acquired MySpace, a leading social networking destination for consumers, celebrities and artists. MySpace has created a robust social networking infrastructure that connects people with the artists and content they love and we have major plans for developing the creative direction and strategy for the company moving forward.
We are the partner of choice for brand advertisers, with a notable Fortune 500 advertiser base and a roster of name brand publisher partners. Headquartered in Irvine, CA, Specific Media currently has offices across the U.S. and Europe which are expanding rapidly so we’re continually searching for motivated people to join our organization.
TechJobsLA Job Fair
Tech Jobs Los Angeles 2012 is a one-day event that connects programmers, designers and other qualified candidates with recruiters and employers.
When: Saturday, July 21, 2012
Location: BLANKSPACES coworking space
[CSSBUTTON target="http://techjobsla.com" color="ff0000" float="left"]RSVP to the job fair[/CSSBUTTON]
Follwe Me on Twitter
- Web Designer (Freelance), Los Angeles
- Product Designer at WET, Burbank
- Web Developer at R&R Partners, El Segundo
- Junior Furniture Designer at MASHstudios, Los Angeles
- Assistant Apparel Designer (Entry-Level) at Mage Design, Los Angeles
- Contractor – Creative, Santa Monica
- Interactive Designer Magento, Culver City
- Social and Digital Media Manager at Petunia Pickle Bottom, Ventura
- Senior Interactive Art Director/Design Lead at Sisu, Culver City
- Freelance Web Designer at Strausberg Group, Santa Monica
This post's short url is http://LAMPjobsLA.com/rtRa